Originally uploaded by inkandclay.
inkandclay on flickr does some really great work. This is just one example of their work.
Just a reminder, my official blog is now at ComfortableShoesStudio.com and you can find nearly daily updates there.
Comfortable Shoes Studio is the name of my little studio in Beverly, Massachusetts; here I paint large watercolors, smaller acrylics, and mostly bind books and journals. I specialize in custom bound journals and sketchbooks with adhesive-free sewing in which the sewing is visible and decorative on the spine. If you're interested please email me!
I did this image for union. I used it as a technique video as well, you can find it on youtube. I started by putting a THICK layer of white acrylic paint on the background. I scratched into it to write. I used a mask to keep the center area white while I built up layers of color and grunge around it. I then pulled the mask off and added a layer of clear gesso, I could have used white but the clear left the little bits of color that made their way under the mask. I drew the face of the sheep in with soft pencil and white acrylic paint. I then added the original queen of merde image with a dragon from a bacardi ad wrapped around her head. I'm very happy with how this turned out.
I had to think to myself what inspires me, then I had to think what doesn't? This is my way of thinking about that.
I sketched out the globe behind the figure first and then sketched in the image of the face, uplifted and with a smile. The next time I decide I want to draw a face on the fold punch me in the throat.
I used my ink brush (fine koi water brush filled with india ink) and inked in the face, body and around the world. I used watercolors to add color to the world and deliberately left the face black and white. I colored in the "shirt area" with watercolor pencil. Using a brush I filled in the black background with india ink and a brush. I spritzed the shirt area with water to allow the ink to run down it.
I hit all that with my drier and dried it out. I then used my gelly roll pen to add some fine line doodles and swirls. I used a brush with liquatex silver ink to add more depth and then added some white acrylic to add more swirls and doodles.
You can't see how awesome and neato the silver ink is in the pictures. Also the curve in the face distorts the face more than it is in reality and makes the whole thing look kinda weird in the photo. I'm not overly happy with it as a finished piece, but I tried to make this a little less complex than the last few images I did.
This is image is being put out there with a creative commons license. You like it, download it, print it, use it in your art journal or blog or youtube video. All I ask is that you give me, LessHerger or ComfortableShoesStudio.com credit for it's creation. With either a link to flickr or my blog.
Finally finished up these notebooks.
3.5x5.5 inches 160 pages in a variety of unlined pages in various papers. Variety of leathers and colors.
All are listed here on my artfire shop.
These jotters almost didn't make it to Artfire. I'm so in love with the shades of green on the covers of these notebooks these almost remained mine.IF I didn't already have a box full of jotters these would have been mine. My lose is everyone's gain 'cause they are on ArtFire here.
Just listed some items to my artfire shop These are my standard styled jotter notebooks, roughly 48 pages, this time with cream colored paper and a mix of colors on the covers.
Just listed some items to my artfire shop These are my standard styled matchbook notebooks, roughly 100 pages, this time with my retro computer paper and nice stiff chocolaty brown covers. good stuff.
Also check out my blog at ComfortableShoesStudio.com