Sunday, October 16, 2022

I'm calling this biked saved from the scrapyard. It's just a Walmart genesis saracino, a $300~ ish bike. I picked it up for $20 for a learning experience and possible parts. I stead I got myself fixated on the idea of saving it and making it ridable again. It arrived with a busted up derailleur and hanger. We'll, that meant that the rear of the bike was shot. The derailleur hanger in these bikes is foolishly integrated into the frame. . . So I cut the damaged part off and mated a hanger off an older Trek parts bike I had laying around. It was a fair amount of work of careful grinding and sanding to remove a small amount of material at a time..in the end it worked. I used an old Shimano altera 7 speed derailleur and it barely has enough swing to make it up and over the last gear but it does. The shifting isn't super smooth but it does okay especially in the lower gears. . I had planned on selling it, but I think I'll use it for awhile... It might end up as a canvas for some oil based paint markers. #pedalpower #makersgonnamake #bikelife #recycledstuff #wrenching #fixdamagedthings #fixitdontbuyit


via Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CjylbZ9v08w/

No comments: