Friday, February 14, 2020

I was gifted a garbage bag full of old men's cargo pants awhile ago (years) they sat in the back of the closet because the legs we JNCO level wide. I mean they were like wearing tents. So I altered them. The process is easy, but time consuming. I was using my 40s era machine so a little different than I've done it in the past. I used a pair of old jeans that perfectly and turn those and these inside out. Find the seam that will flatten and traced the good pants onto wide pants leaving the gap at the flat seam. Using the antique machine I zipped a straight stitch up that line. With a machine capable of it a zigzag stitch on wide works better. With the straight stitch I ran 2 more lines of stitching at 2 stitch wide intervals further into the leg. Then cut along the first set of stitches. Turn and press. It can get a little... boogery at the crotch or at pockets if you aren't careful, but I've found it is pretty for giving. Back tacking at the bottom and crotch area seems to help keep things sturdy. I've now done this alteration on 4 pairs of old jeans and 5 pairs of bersozed cargo pants. One of the cargo pants are super soft and skinny along my lower legs. I've got one pair that I altered specifically for garden work and they fit inside my tall muck boots. Over all they look much better even if they are cargo pants. I'll show pics tomorrow of my chore coat I made with and old spring weigh jacket and an old pair of cargo pants. Doesnt look great but is totally functional. #adaptoldclothing #invisiblemend #mending #citysteading #alterclothin #tailoredtofit #easierthanitsounds


via Instagram https://ift.tt/38uLE2M

No comments: