Thursday, March 17, 2022

So... This is nice. I should really unsub from AATA's newsletter. In 2017 AATA promoted Karen Pence as an ambassador for art therapy despite the fact the Pence isn't and art therapist but an art educator. I see the comparison, as some one with a degree in art education and an MA in Art Therapy. But... Also Pence is not someone who should be asked to promote anything therapeutic, she and her husband are proponents of conversion therapy and frankly, that should have eliminated her as a spokesperson for AATA. I and other members of AATA wrote to AATA about our concerns to crickets. I pulled my membership from AATA and affiliated orgs. If a professional development organization can't see the harm is using a pro conversion therapy person as their spokesperson, well, I really don't want to be associated with them, and I certainly won't give them my money. So, it's nice that AATA is putting this out there, I'm not really up for trusting how much they mean it. Their history ain't so great when it comes to queer issues. I'm not holding my breath that they'll be great or even good about it anytime soon. History matters.


via Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CbNQ9tEAP5r/

No comments: