Saturday, October 08, 2022

A few years back I picked up some bike parts and parts bikes. This Shimano Parrallax hyperglide hub was on one of the bikes. It didn't feel good and it was covered in some hard gritty stuff. I think it was hardened grease and tar and road grime. I've never seen anything like it. It was a beast to get the cassette off and then clean off the hardened grease and grit. The spokes are also covered in the crud. I'm going to get some soap and degreaser in them and bag them overnight to get it off. This hub will accept a 10 speed cassette and possibly up to an 11 or even 12 speed... This will be the wheel I use on my MTB update. So I ripped this down, removed all the bearings- the reason it felt like trash was because it was missing a bearing. I removed any of the bearings that were damaged and replaced them with some from my stash. I lubed with some good grease and then put the whole thing back together again. Now it sounds great and feels pretty smooth. I hope to eventually update the bike to have disk brakes but can't afford a new wheel set quite yet. Even the cheapest on the zone are almost $200. Then I'd have to get brakes to go with it and we'll I'd be looking at spending close to $400 and I don't have that. There are some budget options that could bring the total down by a lot but for now I'm keeping my rim brakes. #pedalpower #makersgonnamake #bikelife #wrenching


via Instagram https://instagr.am/p/CjeIqEKJbKB/

No comments: